Composites Central

Go Back   Composites Central > General Composites Discussions > Composites Talk

Old 02-24-2014, 10:39 PM   #1
muibubbles

Default What kind of building do you work from?

Sorry if this is the wrong section, mods please move if needed.

I'm currently looking to get out of my home garage and move into a shop. my biggest concern is the resin smells... Are you guys working out of our house? for those who have a shop, do you know what your shop is zoned for? ie 4a, i2, etc

any tips/techniques on how to prevent your neighbors from complaining? (if you are in close proximity)
muibubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:34 AM   #2
Cyclone101

Default Re: What kind of building do you work from?

Im in south africa, so can't help you with zoning, but I use epoxies that smell very little, so no complaints from neighbours yet. Just for that benefit it is worth the cost to me.

Vacuum infusion helps even more, keeping most of the harmful vapours away from you.

Good luck with your shop.

Regards
Cyclone101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:27 AM   #3
stealth

Face it, you live in the land of "what's my neighbor doing". I would find out what industrial purposes are allowed in your zoning because it's almost certain someone will complain if you are putting out a lot if chemical smells.
I have a shop in my house, one reason in use epoxy instead of polyester, but I do have a big ventilator and the shop is partitioned from the rest of the house.
stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
muibubbles

lol youre right, south africa doesnt help ahaha.

I do a mix of infusion and wet lay up.. I dont strictly work on composites so im not TOO concerned, but trying to get a feel.

I work on mostly car parts and i havent switched to epoxy yet bc of the heat capabilities.. I've actually been looking to switch to VE resin for their higher heat distortion proprieties.

but then again i have a few gallons of epoxy.. for some reason i never liked using epoxy. i feel like it doesnt cure as strong? (im using uscomposites brand)
muibubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
Cyclone101

Default Re: What kind of building do you work from?

I have not used VE much. In fact, only for one job. But just from the tech sheets, a decent structural epoxy has much better strength properties then any VE I have access to.

My parts are stiffer and much more resilient to stress and impact with epoxy than VE.

Only thing I like about VE is that it is usually more clear than epoxy, but I use SP115 epoxy for cosmetic parts that doesn't have a yellow tint, so I don't use anything other than epoxies these days. Oh, and brushes clean easier with VE than epoxy, but I buy cheap brushes and throw them away, so not really a concern for me.

There are also some nice high temp epoxies out there, but will definitely need post cure.

Try a structural specific epoxy, I'm sure you will like it.

Regards
Cyclone101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #6
C6Design

If you switch to Epoxy you'll have less smell... I used to have a shop in CA and had the shop vented to the top of the building. Didn't have a problem but thats probably because I was in an industrial boat building zone.
C6Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:35 PM   #7
carbonworks

The smell is a real issue when you ve/poly resins even for mould making etc. I am based in the UK and have had hell in my premises, i know the output is well below the permissible level but once people complain that does not matter.
Chris
www.carbonfibreworks.co.uk
carbonworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:44 AM   #8
Worldwealth

Composites Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to Worldwealth

I have a 24" turbine fan atop my roof attached to my spray booth that constantly vents my pails of resin and helps aid consistent temps.

On days that a mold is opened up or on mixing days, I open the booth door and leave it open till I can walk into the shop and not smell ANYTHING.

My business neighbors appreciated that addition and my adjoining wall neighbors no longer smell mal-odors when they come in of a morning.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #9
sammymatik

Composites Expert

Just use epoxies and you should be good.

The only other stuff that really smells is the freekote or sealer. And those evaporate pretty fast so shouldn't really travel too far. Just have good ventilation.
sammymatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:19 AM   #10
BigTopGt

I started out of my garage and ended up with the city inspector dropping by based on neighbor complaints three times a week.

I moved into a 2000 sqft warehouse, but recently ended my lease and moved into a 3200 sqft warehouse.

The first one had close neighbors, which caused all kinds of problems. They hated the overspray on their cars, the smell, the mess from trimming outside, etc...

Now, I have no close neighbors and a big enough shop to have reduced the smells down to a minimum.

If you're in south Florida, please feel free to stop by.

www.facebook.com/g3carbon
BigTopGt is offline   Reply With Quote