Composites Central

Go Back   Composites Central > General Composites Discussions > Articles and Tutorials

Old 08-12-2004, 04:49 PM   #21
Evan

If you're trying to remove the carbon part from a plastic plug/mold then you don't need to use anything. Although you should still apply wax so that it will come off easier. For everything else you'll need some kind of mold release applied to the mold/plug first before you apply the resin/carbon. PVA is a common mold release, wax is also very widely used. There are other chemicals as well but they're more suited more mass production purposes. They're called semi permanent mold release which you apply once for multiple releases.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:50 PM   #22
Evan

One more thing to add. Ultimately it comes down to how porous the surface is. If you have a smooth plug/mold, it'll come off much easier than if you have a rough or porous plug/mold.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:00 PM   #23
riff42

Composites Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan
I don't peel the tape off. It's part of the excess that gets trimmed off. That's why you should always have at least an inch or two of excess material yet not too much. The only way you can get perfectly clean line is via prepreg... other than that you're still going to get some fray no matter what. There are some tricks that you can try though.

a. spray some adhesive (3M Super 77 for example) along the line that you're going to cut. It'll hold everything together so that you can cut a nice and neat line. The problem is the area becomes tacky and it's hard to handle.

b. take a bottle of clear nail polish and draw a line along where you want to cut. Don't use too much nail polish because the resin won't be able to penetrate those areas and wet out your carbon cloth completely. So let the nail polish cure and cut along the line.

Sweet, thanks!!!
riff42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 05:56 PM   #24
clubsport332ti

how do i gett the PDF f\ile?
Old 11-12-2004, 05:59 PM   #25
Evan

I lost the PDF file. I'll make another one.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:09 AM   #26
Herblenny

Is there another Pdf file??

I'm going to buy some supply and try this.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:21 PM   #27
Camarogenius

Any updates on the PDF File?
Old 03-04-2005, 05:37 AM   #28
Refo

http://www.icancomposites.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23

read that too. might help explain it a bit more.

L.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:41 PM   #29
535i

Default Eager to begin!

I have never done this before but I really want to give it a try. I made a fiberglass mold of a ball once in highschool shop class ( was like 1,000 years ago ) and found it to be great fun. Although I remember some of how to do it, I don't remember the whole process.

I am looking to duplicate my cars deck lid and perhaps other parts later if possible. This is probably a big bite for me but I'm willing to learn and take the steps needed. I've been reading all that I can find on the net to try and begin this project.

If any of you can suggest where to begin please feel free to point me in that direction. I plan on starting with small projects so I can get the feel and experience needed before beginning something like the trunk or hood.

If you are working with the outside of the plug and duplicating the part by laying the material on top of it, how do you get a smooth outer surface? I'm pretty sure if you use a mold that surface will be fairly smooth to begin with. With just laying the material on I don't understand how this will work. Is there a lot of sanding involved to get it smooth? Also wouldn't the part be larger than the original, say if you were making a 3d part and not just a flat surface? Like that of an armrest or perhaps something similar.

I look forward to hearing from you guys. I'm eager and excited to begin my first project so I eagerly await

P.S. I tried to download the PDF file and it was not available. Thank you so much for the tutorials Evan. Keep it up, love the info.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:44 AM   #30
doogie48084

Composites Expert

I guess this wasnt a very good article, It has been pulled.
(grin)