Composites Central

Old 03-14-2017, 10:18 AM   #11
Zebra

Composites Expert

It's hard to help much more without seeing a pic of what you're trying to make.

I can't speak for everyone else but I know that when I am making something in carbon fiber, I choose the method and techniques based on the specific shape I am trying to replicate.

IMO, a lot of problems people have are a result of them trying to use that same vacuum bagging or infusion process for every part, regardless of whether it is right for that project or not.

In general, holes can be caused by a number of things including (but not exclusive to): trapped air in the resin, inconsistent pressure across the part, too much or too little resin, poor lay-up technique, issues with the quality of the mold surface, clumpy application of mold release products etc etc.....

If you post a pic of the object you want to make, I can tell you broadly how I would make it if it were my project. I am sure others would be happy to do the same. I doubt we all work the same way....
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:05 AM   #12
stefano

Hey- another option instead of using gelcoat is to use graphite powder and colloidal silica in your west systems epoxy as a gelcoat-like layer, then back it up with a few layers of glass. The graphite powder can is like $20 and lasts for awhile.

Good luck!
stefano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stefano For This Useful Post:
Tulsaboy (04-03-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 07:07 AM   #13
sammymatik

Composites Expert

I just saw some tooling gel coat on ebay for like $30... why cheap out?

I understand doing this on the cheap, i'm sure we've all been there... but from the past experiences, having the right tool or material will not only save time and money, but make a better part. Surely you must know this already.

Do you have a picture of the part you're making? I'm curious what it looks like. Sounds like this is very doable. But the work to make 1 or 2 good parts is the same as making 100... Really it's all about the molds. Tooling is the foundation for all things composites.
sammymatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:18 AM   #14
redmst1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammymatik View Post
I just saw some tooling gel coat on ebay for like $30... why cheap out?

I understand doing this on the cheap, i'm sure we've all been there... but from the past experiences, having the right tool or material will not only save time and money, but make a better part. Surely you must know this already.

Do you have a picture of the part you're making? I'm curious what it looks like. Sounds like this is very doable. But the work to make 1 or 2 good parts is the same as making 100... Really it's all about the molds. Tooling is the foundation for all things composites.
Just images in my head for now, been sidetracked getting tiling done in my house and getting the house ready for the baby thats due in a few weeks.

I will get on making a model of what I want to make ASAP though.
redmst1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redmst1969 For This Useful Post:
sammymatik (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 08:16 AM   #15
sammymatik

Composites Expert

Congrats!!!

First baby? I have one as well... he's almost two years old now... He's basically become my world. I go to work and then take care of him. Best creation to date. Though I don't have any time now to work on my personal projects... I'm just starting to come out of my baby cave and thinking about what I want to make next.

Keep at it!
sammymatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:43 AM   #16
redmst1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammymatik View Post
Congrats!!!

First baby? I have one as well... he's almost two years old now... He's basically become my world. I go to work and then take care of him. Best creation to date. Though I don't have any time now to work on my personal projects... I'm just starting to come out of my baby cave and thinking about what I want to make next.

Keep at it!
Thank you, yes first baby.

On top of that, I am focused on trying to get into the local Fire Department, so unfortunately any projects are on the back burner for a bit.
redmst1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:23 AM   #17
Zebra

Composites Expert

For when the project is back on, take a look at plasti-paste 2 from smooth-on.

I have been using it to make hard shells for molds. It can work as both mold and gel coat if applied right (I.e. A very thin first layer to avoid air bubbles before adding the rest).
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote