Composites Central

Go Back   Composites Central > General Composites Discussions > Composites Talk

Reply
Old 07-27-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
psiron

Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 20
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts



Default Vacuum bag heat sealing, anyone tried it?

Hi,

I use bags rather than the more conventional method of placing 1 layer over the part. I wondered if anyone has tried to bag a complete part by heat sealing the bag shut? Not sure if this works but I'm looking to experiment with different methods if possible.

I also see these C Channel closers but can't seem to find any sources in the UK?
psiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:00 PM   #2
barryh

Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Europe
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post



Default

I tried to source C channels in the UK as well, but to no avail either.

Heat seaming is possible, but it can be cumbersome. I noticed nylon bags sometimes boil when seamed, probably locked in water that is getting out. This might cause some porosity.
barryh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to barryh For This Useful Post:
psiron (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 07:46 AM   #3
sammymatik

Moderator
Composites Expert
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 623
Thanks: 54
Thanked 59 Times in 57 Posts



Default

I have heat sealed bag for storing material in, never tried it for vacuum.

The C channel closer are nice though... I should get some myself. Great for a tube bag, then sealed with the C channel. Not sure how great a seal, I've only done some overlay/veneer work with that method.
sammymatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:57 AM   #4
mattman

Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NH, USA
Posts: 71
Thanks: 4
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts



Default

We have made our own with two sections of PVC pipe that fit inside one another. Cut the larger diameter tube lengthwise, just over half the width...then sand the crap out of the edges. They work great when we have to use tube-bagging, though I prefer not to (pain to slide large layups in). As long as you are careful to prevent wrinkles in the clip, they seal perfect.
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
psiron

Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 20
Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
We have made our own with two sections of PVC pipe that fit inside one another. Cut the larger diameter tube lengthwise, just over half the width...then sand the crap out of the edges. They work great when we have to use tube-bagging, though I prefer not to (pain to slide large layups in). As long as you are careful to prevent wrinkles in the clip, they seal perfect.
Hi,

Can you confirm what sizes you use please as I will see if I can source similar sizes in the uk. Is the tube PVC too please?
psiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:43 AM   #6
DANNYHOCKIN

Forum Donor
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Richmond, Va.
Posts: 193
Thanks: 9
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts



Default

Search for Quick Lock Seals. ACP sells them I think. I haven't used tacky tape to seal envelope bags since I found these years ago. They will also custom cut to length for you if need be.

I use a heat sealer on large bags that I need to piece together. It didn't work well with actual bagging material for infusion, but it works great on 8 mil poly material from the hardware store.
DANNYHOCKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DANNYHOCKIN For This Useful Post:
Munssey (08-26-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
doctorbombei

Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Beautiful North Carolina
Posts: 30
Thanks: 14
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post



Default

I talked to an aerospace engineer/entrepreneur out in California and he swears by heat sealing bags. Here is his website. http://finishlinecomposites.com/

Last edited by doctorbombei; 09-07-2014 at 06:27 PM.
doctorbombei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:17 AM   #8
mattman

Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NH, USA
Posts: 71
Thanks: 4
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiron View Post
Hi,

Can you confirm what sizes you use please as I will see if I can source similar sizes in the uk. Is the tube PVC too please?
We use 3/4" PVC as the solid core and 1" PVC as the cut clip. PVC sizes are IDs. Those ACP clips look like a great deal though. If I had come across that years ago, I would have bought - not built.
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mattman For This Useful Post:
psiron (07-31-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 08:16 AM   #9
DANNYHOCKIN

Forum Donor
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Richmond, Va.
Posts: 193
Thanks: 9
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
We use 3/4" PVC as the solid core and 1" PVC as the cut clip. PVC sizes are IDs. Those ACP clips look like a great deal though. If I had come across that years ago, I would have bought - not built.
They really are awesome. I'm using 8mil poly bags now with most of my molds. The only bagging tape I'm using is for resin inlet and vacuum connection. So much cheaper and have yet to have a failure due to the seals. The only downside is having to clean the backside of the mold between layups.
DANNYHOCKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:06 PM   #10
Munssey

Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Riverside, Ca
Posts: 16
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYHOCKIN View Post
Search for Quick Lock Seals. ACP sells them I think. I haven't used tacky tape to seal envelope bags since I found these years ago. They will also custom cut to length for you if need be.

I use a heat sealer on large bags that I need to piece together. It didn't work well with actual bagging material for infusion, but it works great on 8 mil poly material from the hardware store.
These sounded interesting so I ordered up a few and I'm quite impressed. Reasonably priced, they work great and reusable which saves us on bagging tape. Thanks for the suggestion!
Munssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bag, heat, sealing, vacuum

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:02 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Inactive Reminders By Icora Web Design