Composites Central

Old 01-02-2018, 10:24 AM   #1
Michiel

Composites Expert

Default Vacuum controller prototype

Hello composite finatics,

At the moment Iím developing an absolute vacuum switch / controller made for composites purposes. In all my years working with composites and vacuum pumps, I never found a good and simple vacuum switch / controller that could do everything I wanted. Currently Iím testing a prototype switch to ensure that Itís good. To make it perfect itís important to know what other people think about it and I thought who better to ask for comments then you guys. What do you like about the controller, what to dislike and what do you guys miss? Are you guys interested in this kind of controller?

Some information about the switch / controller:

The controller has an absolute vacuum sensor that has a good accuracy. I did some tests and it seems that the accuracy is much better than the commonly used Greisinger absolute gauge. The controller sends an signal to a relay that turns the vacuum pump on and off to regulate your vacuum.

If Iím going to sell this type of switch it has to be CE certified. The power supply will be 110V and 220V. It will probably be sold without relay, because that totally depends on the vacuum pump power. The screen and the button will also be from a better quality then in the prototype.

More explanation about the switch you can find above the pictures. The picture quality is not that great, I made them with my phone.

This is the prototype controller, in the future the box will be a normal plastic housing box.
The controller has a screen that shows multiple values and one turn / push button to control everything.

This is the screen modus when the controller is on but is disabled (off). At the left top you see the vacuum level.

You can scroll true the screen with the turn button and when you want to change a value you have to push the button when you are standing on it. Here you can choose your lowest vacuum (officially itís the deepest vacuum). It goes from 1 mbar up till atmospheric.

Here you can choose you highest vacuum level.

Here you can select your running time up till 48 hours. The controller controls your vacuum level during this time by switching the vacuum pump on and off. After the time has passed the controller screen stays on but the program is disabled. Do you guys prefer more than 48 hours? There will also be an endless duration selection.

Here you can select your vacuum indication. You can choose between: Bar,mBar, mmHg, inchHg, kPa and PSI. Do you guys prefer other ones?

The selection automatically turns back to the off selection when nothing happens. When you then push the button for 0,5 second the controllers turns on. When the vacuum level is within your preferences the screen is green. The time goes in countdown modus.

When the vacuum is out of your preferences it turns red (not as pink as the pictures).

When you hold the push button for 2 seconds the screen turns blue and the vacuum pump runs continuously during the selected time.

Michiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Michiel For This Useful Post:
.kyle (01-12-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 04:13 PM   #2
Ro Yale

Forum Donor
Composites Expert

Nice piece, what kind of cost?
Ro Yale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:51 PM   #3
fasta

Composites Expert

Nice, I have been looking for a controller so that I can run a vacuum tank and keep it within a set vacuum (25-30"). Will your switch work for this application?
fasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:23 AM   #4
Michiel

Composites Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro Yale View Post
Nice piece, what kind of cost?
It's to early to name a price, but I hope to keep it around Ä300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasta View Post
Nice, I have been looking for a controller so that I can run a vacuum tank and keep it within a set vacuum (25-30"). Will your switch work for this application?
Yes, it's designed for that kind of application.
Michiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michiel For This Useful Post:
.kyle (01-12-2018), fasta (01-09-2018), Ro Yale (01-03-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 10:31 PM   #5
fasta

Composites Expert

Aside from keeping it in a full vacuum kind of range/mode it could be useful to have a lower vacuum setting/program for bagging set up and having a loose enough bag to move/slide before increasing the vaccuum to the usual high setting.

Maybe that is easy to just reprogram or it could have its own program??
fasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:36 AM   #6
.kyle

Personally think this looks like a great product! Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see it on sale.
.kyle is offline   Reply With Quote