Composites Central

Go Back   Composites Central > General Composites Discussions > Composites Talk

Old 07-11-2017, 08:04 AM   #11
Zebra

Composites Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASB View Post
Air fed hood is the only way to go. I have both compressed air and electric systems. Keeps the dust out of your eyes as well, and so much more comfortable. One thing no one told me. The air feed keeps your head cooler and that seems to make a huge difference in hot environments. No sweat and no condensation.
Firefighters use positive pressure, first breath activated, compressed air breathing apparatus. They can be quite uncomfortable as they need to fit your face well or be quite tight to stop leaks, because the pressure inside the mask is slighter higher than the ambient pressure. this means the air leaks out, not in, keeping contaminants out. I have a narrow face so my mask straps have to be quite tight. One of the guys on my crew has a round face and never gets leaks. They would be good but not as comfortable or practical as a hood.
That is very useful info. One thing that bothers me a lot with some eye protection is the way they steam up so you can't see what you are doing. That can't be good for safety when operating power tools....

I love the idea of a product that will keep me cool and stop the lens steaming up while keeping the cf dust out.

I keep my air compressors in a separate room with air purifiers anyway, so maybe I already have the right set-up to run an air fed hood.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:07 AM   #12
Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1rob View Post
Depends how much you want to spend ?
Your concerns are well founded my lung capacity is shot an that's probably down to me being cavalier/naive the first 10/5 years in this game
Use a 3m versaflo battery powered with a 605/655 hood
Nothing gets through that,its very light an quiet
About 5/600 new but careful shopping on ebay a you can be all set up for 250/300
Still a fair bit of money but a quality lifetime investment
Hi guys ...i red the whole article and got a bit concerned. Then i made a 2 hours research trying to understand if the electrical enforced respirator despite the less effort of breathing provides better all in all filtering compared to a full mask of 3m lets say the one that i use which is the 6800 series - but without luck.
Can somebody help on this ?
Creator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:32 AM   #13
Creator

Also ...i checked at the manuals of 3M and i didnt get any reading for carbon fiber dust . So for me that i use the mask when sanding and when spraying paint what is the right filter ? Right now i use a combination of 6006 multigas vapor cartridge with a p N11 N95 particulate ...which i use for BOTH jobs.
Maybe i should use another combination for Carbon Fiber ?? All in all what is the right combination for Carbon Fiber dust and what is the right combination for paint spray ??

Last edited by Creator; 07-24-2017 at 05:34 AM. Reason: mistake
Creator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:35 AM   #14
polaraligned

In theory, a facemask with a HEPA rated filter should be enough as long as it fits correctly and does not leak through the sides. The key is getting a correct fitting mask. If it leaks, all bets are off.

Individual fibers of carbon are 5-10um in diameter, with the possibility they split to smaller sizes. A HEPA rated filter will stop 99.97% of all particles down to 0.3um.

A positive air mask is good as long as the air pump is in a dust free location.

I prefer cutting my composites outside and not contaminating my whole shop. I have used a wet saw for straight cuts and it has worked out well.
polaraligned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #15
f1rob

Google "3m face mask fit test" that will get you some useful information
Someone mentioned down draft benches,well worth it an you can even make your own bench top version with a good industrial hoover,that little bit of negative pressure around the item your cutting will take a lot of dut away that would otherwise could be heading for you nose
f1rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:03 AM   #16
Zebra

Composites Expert

I ended up using the info I read here to make an improvised forced air set up.

The expensive part was the compressor to generate the air flow. The actual masks and hoods are relatively affordable. I bought a 3m full face mask with hood but instead of buying the 3m electronics, I am feeding the mask using my own oil-free compressor (which I already had) and a 50ft hose so it can be placed in another room where the air is clear.

So far I am happy with the set up and very greatful for the advice I got here. The level of protection and comfort is night and day compared to what I used before. Nothing gets through. I can't even smell the sanded carbon fiber (which has a distinct smell to me).
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:30 PM   #17
Gti79990

Thought i would comment about the safety aspect of the post.

Asbestos dust is different than carbon dust. What makes asbestos dust so toxic are a combination of factors. Some of them being it's shape, size, and how it fratures or breaks/frays.

Its shape is much longer than it is wide with pointed barbs at the ends causing cells to become punctured at the fiber ends trapping the cells.

All harmful asbestos dust is small enough to stay suspended in air for long periods and it's size allows it to travel through the body's natural defense mechanisms in the nose, mouth, throat, and airway all the way to the lungs which has 100% humidity where it likes to settle down.

The fiber breaks or frays along the length of the piece not the width like glass fibers break or similarly carbon fibers.

A recent sd sheet I saw indicated an 8 hour twa of 5mg/m3 pel and 3 mg/m3 acgih tlv

For comparison asbestos pel is .1 fiber per cc for 8 hours.

The pels and tlvs are thought be maximum amount of exposure most people can sustain without adverse affects.
Gti79990 is offline   Reply With Quote