Composites Central

Go Back   Composites Central > General Composites Discussions > Composites Talk

Old 05-27-2013, 04:50 AM   #11
Roger

Composites Expert

Stretch tape over the laminate to consolidate it. From the video, it looks like they are just applying the tape over dry laminate for purposes of the video. It doesn't look like they followed the normal path from mold to finished part (dry sand and then laminate?). Normally, the tape would be applied over wet laminate and then peeled off after cure. The product is then hot coated with resin to fill weave and ridges. The part is then sanded to fair and topcoated with a clear paint.

I've been involved with enough video production to know that the guys who put the video together don't always understand the process they are filming. They just use clips as they see fit to create what they think is an appealing presentation.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #12
BlackNDecker

Any particular brand of stretch tape that you all would recommend?

In that video, it looks like they overlap the edges of the tape when they wrap it....will the "stepped edges" from overlapping the tape show up in the surface of the carbon fiber?
BlackNDecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #13
mugget

Composites Expert

Hey Roger,

Just wondering what you mean by "hot coated"? Is that like a flow coat after the tape has been removed?
mugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #14
Roger

Composites Expert

Yes, hot coat, flow coat, same thing. I guess it's left over from building surfboards way back when. I have know idea why we called it a hot coat. It was just the common term for it around here (at least with the knuckleheads I hung out with).
Old 06-05-2013, 05:20 AM   #15
mugget

Composites Expert

Ahh... cheers, gotcha. I would have clicked the "thanks" button except I seem to be unthankful at the moment (must have run out!)

Did they used to apply heat to help it flow out easier? Anyway, good to know the different terminology.
mugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #16
Roger

Composites Expert

Although heat will reduce the viscosity, it also reduces gel time. With polyester resin that was typically used at the time, heat was our enemy. When I was a kid without much money, it was a choice between buying lunch or material. I didn't want to miss too many meals so losing a batch of resin wasn't something I wanted to happen very often. We'd just squeegee on a coat, let it gel, squeegee on a second coat (with wax this time) and let it cure. Then sand, sand, sand.