Composites Central

Go Back   Composites Central > General Composites Discussions > Composites Talk

Old 02-09-2015, 07:43 AM   #11
craj1031tx

Forum Donor
Composites Expert

Thanks hojo, I'll send you a PM.

Sammy, could you recommend a specific prepreg with good surface characteristics from Cytec? I'm on their prepreg selector page (http://www.cytec.com/selector-guide/ Aerospace>Prepregs and Resin Systems>Aircraft Interiors) but there seems to be a really wide selection. I want to have some talking points before I call them up. Looking for something that can cure at low temperatures (250-300F)

Thanks!
craj1031tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:10 PM   #12
sammymatik

Composites Expert

It's MTM 46 that we have. Not sure if it's UV stable though?

It has a variety of cure temps. I do think it can be cured at like 180F for 5 hours or soemthing along that lines. NOt sure what the service temp is at a lower cure, we usually post cure everything.

let me know if they have a UV stable resin. From what I've seen, the aluminum molds will give a great surface finish.
sammymatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:33 AM   #13
craj1031tx

Forum Donor
Composites Expert

Thanks Sammy. I called in and left a message with their sales department, so I'm waiting for one of their reps to get in touch with me.

Quick question: why are the cycle times of press cured prepregs so short compared to autoclave or OOA prepregs, even though the cure temperatures are about the same (~250F)? I'm looking through the press cure prepreg TDSs on Cytec's website and many of them list sub 10 minute cure times. Is it solely because of the better heat conduction straight from the metallic mold into the part?
craj1031tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:44 PM   #14
sammymatik

Composites Expert

That's a good question... I think it's mostly as temp increases, the cross linking hapens faster.

In the press we've cured parts and usually they can be run at a higher temp, thus a faster cure. I remember one time they cured a panel at a really high temp, and it cured super fast... easily less than 10 minutes. This was with the OOA pre preg.

If the laminate is thin, it will heat up quickly because the platens are heating from both top and bottom. Also the press must have pretty high power and thus the ability to heat quickly.

So wait, to clarify, you've found some products that are listed as specifically for press use? If so, this could be very handy indeed.
sammymatik is offline   Reply With Quote