Composites Central

Old 05-08-2014, 05:27 AM   #21
Gilbert

I have been practicing a lot and I am having better results. Here is my issue now: when I go to clear coat my part to make it shinier the clear bleeds into the part. I am using a 2 part automotive clear. It seems like the clear soaks through at the weave and creates a wavy surface or more of a pinhole surface. After the clear has dried I have flipped over the part and you can see clear on the backside. I have even used sealer on the backside prior to clearing which helps a little but still have bleed through. I still feel like too much resin is pulled out of the fabric, any suggestions?
Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #22
Gilbert

Any advice at all guys? It's getting frustrating pulling out parts that have pinholes and then clearing them to only have the clear bleed through the part right at the pinholes no matter what I try
Old 05-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #23
fasta

Composites Expert

Sounds like your parts must be just one layer of carbon/material that it would bleed right through like that. Maybe the problem is the part and you should try more layers or a different finish on the backside with peel ply or release film to try and make a non porous part.

I fear though that if this is the problem then you may solve the problem of paint running through but if the surface still has porosity then you will still have paint problems like many do with parts from moulds.
fasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:00 PM   #24
Gilbert

I have done 2 layers up to 4 layers with the same results. It almost looks like fish eyeing on the clear from a car but at a closer look you can see where the pinholes were is where the clear bleed through the panel. What kind of clear would you recommend to use for a finished glossy look that fills voids well?
Old 05-13-2014, 01:34 AM   #25
fasta

Composites Expert

I can't imagine how the paint can bleed through 3-4 layers of material! I'm stumped.

Porosity and voids are always a problem for many. Search this forum and you find some methods for painting.

It's not usually as easy as just spraying a paint since often it will not fill into the voids.
fasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:24 AM   #26
EKOMPOSIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepower View Post
If you ruined a mould I would say you need to get a better release agent. What do you use? If you want a good finish you can use Marbocote fastcote or their 227ce release. Both are a wipe on and leave release so you do not need to buff them up and both will give a good cosmetic finish.

Here is a cover for some diving bottle system and it releases wonderfully...

Now for the voids and pinholes. I have done quite a lot of wet lay vacuum bagged parts but all of them have been in polyester resins. I found I could get a good part but it was variable and failure rates were too high for me making cosmetic parts. I swapped over to pre-preg because of it.. But I would use a preforated release film with the least number of holes possible as it would restrict the loss of resin from the part but still allow some trapped air off the part. I also found putting some peel ply round the perimeter helped too... I would put the peel ply over the last layer on the flange area and that would help too... I always used to run a full vacuum.
I swapped to pre-preg just to save money to
be honest.. OK the materials do cost more but if you do wet lay vacuum bagging you only need to have an oven and controller... The money I saved with the lower percentage of scrap parts (single digit I would say) it just made sense.

The oven can be quite simple and made using a fan heater and MDF.

Even getting the controller from ebay is cheap and accurate. I was testing mine here to see and used an old meat thermometer to check and I get it to 1 degree maximum deviation when I check it on the opposite side to the controller thermocouple and at a lower level. With parts in there the turbulance should make the oven even more accurate.
Nice and simple oven. What controller are you using? Can it do a controlled ramped up?

Best regards
Mads

---------

Ekomposit.dk
EKOMPOSIT is offline   Reply With Quote