Composites Central

Go Back   Composites Central > General Composites Discussions > Composites Talk

Old 10-06-2017, 07:36 AM   #1
cloudbase

Default mold creation suggestion for my plug.

Hi,

I finished my plug and i am trying to create the mold from it. But i am struggling 2-piece mould or 1-piece mould.

As you can see in the attachment, it has a basic flat surface when you view from top. But from a vertical cut view, the edge on the front wrapped down and back about 2cm.

thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lip.jpg (45.0 KB, 45 views)
cloudbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:50 AM   #2
Roger

Composites Expert

I think pictures of your plug from different angles would be helpful. Going off the drawing (your section view), it looks like a flange at the two ends is all you need but I'm guessing it's not that easy. Also what type of molding process are you building this mold for?
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:23 AM   #3
cloudbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
I think pictures of your plug from different angles would be helpful. Going off the drawing (your section view), it looks like a flange at the two ends is all you need but I'm guessing it's not that easy. Also what type of molding process are you building this mold for?

By the way, this is a car front lip part. It is similar to the attachment. but it's all flat on top, and wrapped at the front edge.

I am building an hand layup epoxy mould using west system epoxy with filler and graphite power for the surface coat, then layers of fibreglass cloth. My main concern is should i do 1 piece mould or 2 piece mould. which one is better and why? I am working on my own garage, so i can't use polyester resin/gelcoat because the smell is too strong. I also have advice from someone else to envelope the mould with CF for resin infusion since it is long and thin mould.

Or if you have any suggestion, please also let me know, i am pretty new to composites.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ac-fl15fdmu-ac-front-chin-splitter-2015-mustang.jpg (92.0 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by cloudbase; 10-06-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:39 PM   #4
Hanaldo

Composites Expert

That will need a 2 piece mould, you won't get it out of a one piece unless the undercut has decent draft on it (which it shouldn't, given it is a front lip).
Hanaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:36 PM   #5
cloudbase

thank you for the info, this is what i thought.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:15 AM   #6
Zebra

Composites Expert

It isn't a case of better or worse with one part or two part molds. It's only about what is necessary.

Two-part molds are used for parts with two sides or parts with an undercut that would prevent a part being released.

The exception to this if if you are making a compression mold which has both a female part and a male side.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote