Composites Central

Go Back   Composites Central > General Composites Discussions > Products Talk

Old 03-24-2017, 02:51 PM   #1
idk

Default Suggestions for mold making products

I posted a thread asking for state-side alternatives to Easy Composites' Uni Mould system, but didn't get any responses so I'll rephrase the question:

I want to make a mold using Brushable VE gelcoat, PE laminating resin + CSM. (to produce CF part)

I'm looking for some recommendations or alternatives. I'd even be interested to hear what everyone's favorite recipe is for small molds that will be used to produce CF parts with a clear finish.
idk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:21 AM   #2
jjcomposites

Quote:
Originally Posted by idk View Post
I posted a thread asking for state-side alternatives to Easy Composites' Uni Mould system, but didn't get any responses so I'll rephrase the question:

I want to make a mold using Brushable VE gelcoat, PE laminating resin + CSM. (to produce CF part)

I'm looking for some recommendations or alternatives. I'd even be interested to hear what everyone's favorite recipe is for small molds that will be used to produce CF parts with a clear finish.
Why are you using VE gel coat? PE gel coat would be okay with the PE laminating resin.
jjcomposites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:22 AM   #3
Hanaldo

Composites Expert

He is likely wanting to make epoxy carbon fibre parts out of the moulds, so vinyl is the go if that's the case.

Idk, I use the Reichold tooling system myself. Virtually exactly the same as Unimould, but slightly better temperature properties. Not sure if you can get it where you are, but I thought I'd throw you the name.
Hanaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanaldo For This Useful Post:
idk (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 06:50 AM   #4
jjcomposites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanaldo View Post
He is likely wanting to make epoxy carbon fibre parts out of the moulds, so vinyl is the go if that's the case.

Idk, I use the Reichold tooling system myself. Virtually exactly the same as Unimould, but slightly better temperature properties. Not sure if you can get it where you are, but I thought I'd throw you the name.
I regularly use polyester gel coated molds to make epoxy carbon parts, he's obviously not using elevated temperatures as he plans on using polyester resin.
jjcomposites is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jjcomposites For This Useful Post:
idk (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #5
idk

I guess the VE is supposed to have less shrinkage.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:56 PM   #6
Infused

Composites Expert

I think you need to buy products and test things out. It seems that you have no used vinyl Ester nor poly. You should try both of you are curious.
Infused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:45 PM   #7
idk

I'm using polyester gel coat and I see the gel coat pulls apart during curing and leaves gaps that need to be filled with additional coats. Again, I would just like to hear what works for people who have the most experience with making CF parts by way of infusion. Too many products and techniques.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:43 PM   #8
Hanaldo

Composites Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcomposites View Post
I regularly use polyester gel coated molds to make epoxy carbon parts, he's obviously not using elevated temperatures as he plans on using polyester resin.
Yep, so have I, but it's not something I would recommend to people. Not every type of polyester gelcoat will work, some types will stick every time no matter what release agent you use (except PVA obviously).

Also, polyester tooling resins are quite capable of handling elevated temperatures, the Reichold system I use does 100C pre-preg cycles day in day out.
Hanaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hanaldo For This Useful Post:
idk (03-28-2017), jjcomposites (04-14-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 01:08 AM   #9
idk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanaldo View Post
Yep, so have I, but it's not something I would recommend to people. Not every type of polyester gelcoat will work, some types will stick every time no matter what release agent you use (except PVA obviously).

Also, polyester tooling resins are quite capable of handling elevated temperatures, the Reichold system I use does 100C pre-preg cycles day in day out.
So it sounds like I should try a VE gel coat. Can someone recommend a brushable VE gel coat?
Old 04-02-2017, 12:58 PM   #10
progetto

Hanaldo, Are you getting your supply in Oz?
progetto is offline   Reply With Quote