Composites Central

Old 06-20-2017, 12:03 PM   #21
Astute

Okay, that is a little bizarre as it should bond reasonably well with very little prep.

I guess you need to check the alloy prep, the solvent & wipes you may be using, and what method are you using to compress the alloy to the surface, if you have air entrapment, the humidity and temperature plays a part..... It could well be a number of things, combined!

If you use certain adhesives and over compress - then the bond strength is drastically reduced. 0.2-0.5mm is ideal for a "standard" structural adhesive.

The adhesives I have recommended work in a wide range of bond lines - Araldite's optimum bond line is 0.05mm to 0.1mm
It will work with larger gaps as well, so do not be put off.
Astute is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Astute For This Useful Post:
f1rob (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 05:53 PM   #22
Hanaldo

Composites Expert

I bond ali to carbon all the time for high stress motorsport applications. Peel strength has never ever been an issue, no matter the geometry.
Hanaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:32 PM   #23
Zebra

Hanaldo, I think what you said about the resin thickness was right in terms of what is causing my specific issue. I guess the laminating resins I use are just not suitable for adhesion to aluminum.

Based on your advise I have been experimenting with some of my thicker resins (the ones that stay put when you apply them) and they produce a better bond. I can still peel it off with a chisel but it's a big improvement. When combined with a proper surface treatment I could see it working fairly well.

I haven't tried using a thicker resin to stick cf to the aluminum yet. I am waiting for delivery of a rubber roller to ally it smooth and evenly as this is a problem for me with thicker resins. Any lumps show through with cf on flat surfaces.

Out of interest, with cf / aluminum bonds for car parts, are they affected by changes in temp and the metal expanding? I imagine heat is a consideration for anything near the engine.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:06 PM   #24
Hanaldo

Composites Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
Out of interest, with cf / aluminum bonds for car parts, are they affected by changes in temp and the metal expanding? I imagine heat is a consideration for anything near the engine.
Yeh definitely. For most motorsport applications I use Araldite 2015 as it remains slightly flexible, which helps it resist problems from expansion and vibration.

I also use 2014 quite a lot due to its higher temperature and chemical resistance, as well as Plexus methyl methacrylate. But those two I generally use for composite to composite joins, I tend to only use 2015 for ali to composite.
Hanaldo is offline   Reply With Quote